Is my employer required to pay me a reimbursement owed if I have since left the company?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my employer required to pay me a reimbursement owed if I have since left the company?

My employer owes me money from gas reimbursement. I left the company 3 months

ago. They have been telling me they have signed the documentation and that the check will be sent out. They told me this 2 months ago. I have tried contacting them and they will not answer me calls or voicemails. What can I do?

Asked on September 28, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if the agreement (even if only an oral, or unwritten one) had been that that company reimbursed you for gas (or other expenses) and you incurred the debt before termination, in reliance on that agreement, then they have to pay you even if you have been subsequently terminated. If they do not pay you voluntarily, you could sue them, such as in small claims court, acting as your own attorney ("pro se") to save on legal expenses, for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption