Is it legal to fire me under special circumstances?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to fire me under special circumstances?

I was let go with out warning and based on lies and accusations about me. It was an LLC business. The manager didn’t like me and was creating an uncomfortable work environment for me. First he tried to take away my hours and then he fired me for a job that I was supposedly hired to do but was barely put to work on it. I was hired to do something else by a former supervisor that layer quit. What should I do?

Asked on September 28, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unless this action violated the terms of an exisiting union agreement/employment contract or constituted some form of legally actionable discrimination, it was unfortunately legal. The fact is that a company can set the conditions of work much as it sees fit. This includes who to fire and why. In fact, an "at will" worker can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption