Time clock usage and docking pay

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Time clock usage and docking pay

My employer decided that our gate that we badge in
and out of for security they are now going to use as a
time clock and dock employees according to those
gate times. We can not see the time on the
computer from where we scan our badge to exit the
plant. Can my employer do this ?

Asked on August 19, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is no inherent right to see a clock when you clock in; the employer's obligation is to keep accurate time records, but it can do so using automatic scanning mechanisms that don't display the time to you. The solution, however, is simple: check your watch or the time on your phone when you clock in/out. Keep a record. Compare the number of hours you are paid for vs. the number of hours you record. Ignore trivial differences--those are likely just small, meaningless discrepancies in your and the company's time pieces. But if you notice larger discrepancies, especially resulting in you being underpaid, you may wish to file a complaint with your state department of labor: employers *must* pay employees for all hours worked.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption