Thought we were buying at one price then it changed

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Thought we were buying at one price then it changed

We found property for sale, the
listing agent told us they
could move the boundary, I
asked if seller would take 50k
for 2 acres instead of 79 for
3.5. He said yes. And told us
to send an email of our
intentions to purchase 2 acres
for 50, he then proceeded with
adjustment, after 5 months they
gave us a contract for much
more than we thought we were
buying at. Is there anything we
can do?

Asked on October 10, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If he responded back to you in writing that he was accepting your offer to buy 2 acres for $50k, you would force him to do so IF you were willing to litigate (sue him): if he accepted your offer in writing--whcich includes if he replied to your email accepting it--that would form a contract. But you need to be able to prove his acceptance of the offer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption