Do I have rights to my deceased father’s house?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have rights to my deceased father’s house?

There’s a family trust fund set. I was
told that the house doesn’t go to me.
And that the house is up for sale for
15,000. That if I want it i would have
to pay the 15,000 there asking for it
and to make my decision quick before
they sell it.

Asked on October 30, 2018 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  This is a bit complicated and more information is needed but I will try and help guide you.  First, I am assuming all assets were in the Trust and there is no Will becuase of it, not that he died intestate with no planning at all.  The Trust will govern the distribution of the estate and its property.  You should be able to get a copy since you are potentially an heir of the estate. I would take that to an attorney to review.  It governs distribution and how you can bargain ownership depends on what it says.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption