If the tax deed to my landlord’s property was signed over to a new company, should I still pay my landlord rent?

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the tax deed to my landlord’s property was signed over to a new company, should I still pay my landlord rent?

Apparently my landlord failed to pay his taxes for a couple of years and the county signed over the taxes to the people who bought it. However, they said they don’t technically own it but either does my landlord. I own the mobile home; not the land.

Asked on June 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the land that your mobile home sits upon is owned by a new person, then your landlord is the person that owns the land so long as you remain on the premises. However, under the law, the tax sale may have terminated your lease.

Assuming you wish to remain renting the land that your mobile home sits upon, I suggest that you make the monthly rental payments to the person who bought the land at the tax sale. Another option is to make the check jointly to the former owner and the current record owner.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption