The railroad started a fire (everyone agrees to this even the railroad) it destroyed my pasture.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

The railroad started a fire (everyone agrees to this even the railroad) it destroyed my pasture.

The fire destroyed my pasture. The railroad said they would pay to repair the fences and only 5 of the 7 acres that were burnt. I now have to buy feed for my sheep until I have pasture, the railroad tells me this is not their responsibiity, is this so?

Asked on July 4, 2009 under Personal Injury, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and pracrtice in this aras of the law.  Thanks for giving more details.  I think that you need to obtain a lawyer or on your own, make a written claim to the railroad for the damages.  You need to get some sort of appraisal as to the extent of the damages caused to your land and the money that it wil cost to repair.  you do not want the railroad to get off cheaply since they are taking responsibility.  They should have to pay to feed the sheep untill the pasture grows back.  There is probably a way to calculate this money and i therefoe suggest you hire a lawyer to help you.  otherwsis you will be taken advantage of here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption