Railroad destroyed my pasture by fire, now my sheep have nothing to eat.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Railroad destroyed my pasture by fire, now my sheep have nothing to eat.

About 5 weeks ago the railroad started a fire that destroyed my pasture. I now have to buy feed for my sheep until the pasture is re-seeded and grows. Do I have a recourse; shouldn’t the railroad repair my pasture and feed my sheep?

Asked on July 4, 2009 under Personal Injury, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and pracrtice in this aras of the law.  You did not give me enough information about the fire - i.e. the cause and circumstances.  However, assuming that the railraod was at fault for the fire, you do have recourse against the railroad under a negligence theory.  In other words, if the railroad failed to take precautions that reasonably could have avoided the fire, then it would be at fault and you could get compensation for the damages.  Do you have homeowner's insurance?  If so, you may also want to place your carrier on notice so that if the railroad fails to pay, you can use your homeowner's insurance to cover the damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption