If the driver who hit me didn’t have insurance, what can I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the driver who hit me didn’t have insurance, what can I do?

I was hit from the rear while at a stop light. The driver who hit me,gave police her insurance information. This happened on January 11. On January 23. I was told that the driver was not covered by the insurance company that she had given. My car was totaled,and at the time, I had no insurance either. What can I do, to have her pay for my car?

Asked on January 24, 2017 under Accident Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your only recourse is to sue the at-fault driver for negligence.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for negligence) would be  the value of your car.
After prevailing in the case and being awarded a court judgment, you can enforce the judgment with a wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption