What to do if someone is threatening to exploit me?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if someone is threatening to exploit me?

My ex is threatening to post my nude pictures all over the internet. They were taken when I was underage (17) and he was legal (19). If he posts those pictures, am I able to charge him for child pronography and defamation of character? I’m running out of time. If I make him wait too long, he’ll do it anyway.

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Criminal Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The internet is a a very scary place and is both a blessing and a curse.  There is not time here for moral lessons and unfortunately for you your area learning one the hard way.  You are quite correct that if he does indeed post pictures of you when you were a minor he can in fact be prosecuted under child pornography / endangering the welfare of a minor laws.  Any and all.  Let him know that if he posts them - actually even if he sends them to just one person - you will pursue the matter with the police and District Attorney to make sure that he is convicted of some law that deals with these matters and push until he has to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.  Then seek help about a civil suit.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption