CanI get sued by my minor girlfriend’s parents for getting her pregnant with her consent?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI get sued by my minor girlfriend’s parents for getting her pregnant with her consent?

We’re both 15 and want to have a child but she’s scared that I can get sued. Can I legally have a child and if they kick her out can she come live with me?

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Okay, so this is a "what if" question BEFORE you have to write here to ask for help when it actually occurs.  Yes, you can be sued civilly in these matters.  What will probably happen first is that you will be arrested by the police and charged with some form of sexual assault.  I do not care if you tell them that it was consensual.  And if you are convicted then you will probably have to register as a sex offender for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.  Quite a scary thought considering you are 15.  If that happens then you will most likely find it very difficult to get a job and most likely be prevented from seeing your child.  Yes, it can happen. I understand how much you must really love each other but think of your future as well as hers.  It can also be very dangerous for a 15 year old to give birth so think of that as well here.  You are not in any position to brng a child in to this world and really it is not fair to the child.  Enjoy your child hood.  You have a lifetime to share ahead of you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption