Sold a bad engine no response from company.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Sold a bad engine no response from company.

I’m not sure if this is the right category. I purchased a motorcycle engine for $1200 took it to a garage they attempted to put it into my bike and it wouldn’t start. -500. I contacted the owner of the business that sold me the motor. After finally getting him to stop avoiding both mine and the garages calls he said to try this to get it to work -160. After another round of him avoiding calls he said he would take the engine and either fix it or replace it with a brand new one by Thursday. It is now Saturday and we cannot get him to answer the phone. We have a receipt saying he would either fix or replace the engine.

Asked on September 23, 2017 under Business Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You sue the company that sold you the bad engine: you sue them for breach of contract, for not selling you a working engine as you and they had agreed (even if only implicitly) they would; for further breach of contract, for violating the specific terms you cite, that they would fix or replace the engine; and for violating the implied warranty of merchantability--the obligation, imposed by law that vendors, etc. sell you goods that are what they claim to be--int this case, a working engine.
For $1,200, the most cost-efficient (and quickest) way to proceed is by suing in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se." If the company that sold it  to you is a corporation or LLC, you sue the company; otherwise, sue the owner personally.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption