What recourse do I have if the salesperson forged my signature on a life insurance application

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What recourse do I have if the salesperson forged my signature on a life insurance application

I had spoken with an agent to secure a whole life insurance policy for my son. I was told at the time they company did not mail out copies of the policies. Now 6 years have passed and due to a health issue, I was getting paperwork together for my son. I called the corporate office and asked about a copy of the policy. I was informed that not only did they not sell whole life policies at that time, I should have received a copy. The company mailed out my application and copy of policy and I discovered my signature was forged. What recourse do I have?

Asked on August 22, 2018 under Insurance Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In addition to filing a complaint with the agency you mentioned, you should also file a complaint with your state's insurance commissioner.  You can also sue the insurance company and its agent for fraud.  You should also consider pursuing criminal charges for forgery against the insurance agent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption