Does a court order override a side agreement?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a court order override a side agreement?

I went to small claims court last month and they said that I had to pay $50 per month for an old charge card I had. The next day they received a letter and a payment that I had sent a week before the court date. In this letter I proposed a larger amount. Now they are telling me that I must pay the larger amount. I explained to them that I’m presently unemployed and can only afford the court agreed amount. Does my letter over ride the court ordered amount?

Asked on February 9, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The court order is controlling and would override your letter.  The court order to pay $50 per month would be the extent of your payment obligation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption