Should we be obligated to pay this month’s rent with mold present in our house and renovations are still not complete?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should we be obligated to pay this month’s rent with mold present in our house and renovations are still not complete?

We are renting a house that had extensive rain damage from a recent hurricane. We notified the landlord the next day and he came over and inspected things himself. At this point mold was coming through the ceiling in one area. We were told that his insurance man would be out here within a week to look at everything. We didn’t see the insurance adjuster for about 2 weeks. A day later the landlord called wanting to know where his rent money was. We have 2 toddlers. We cannot afford to pay rent and a motel while renovations are being made.

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to follow up your last meeting with the landlord with a telephone call and a written letter (keeping a copy for future need) advising him that the water intrusion resulting from the recent hurricane has caused significant damages to the rental resulting is safety and habitability issues needing immediate repairs.

Your letter should mention that the fair monthly rental of the unit in its current condition is not what is stated in the written lease and inquire about a significant reduction in the monthly rent pending repairs. Hopefully the landlord will realize that he needs to get repairs started and that your monthly rental needs to be reduced.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption