Does the statute of limitation applies to homeowners association dues?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does the statute of limitation applies to homeowners association dues?

My association is pursuing dues from 5 years ago with no prior notices. My community is having so many issues with our management firm. Question whether they have done a proper job because our monthly assessment is a rip off.

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In most states the statute of limitations to bring an action for breach of a written contract or for common counts is four (4) years. Some states have specific time periods for when a homeowner's association is required to file suit for unpaid association dues different than the standard four (4) year time period.

The real issue that is see is some waiver by the association to claim unpaid dues going back five (5) plus years where no prior notice was ever given to the property owner that they were ever owed. It does not make sense for the association to go back five (5) years in time to charge a property owner for something that should have been assessed years ago.

Potentially the proeprty management firm was careless and negligent for not assessing these dues when they become due.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption