should I pursue a lawsuit as a member of a protected class and how much would that cost?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

should I pursue a lawsuit as a member of a protected class and how much would that cost?

I’m 62 years old and was let go from my job without cause. I’ve been offered a 4 month severance package but I lose the ability to sue if I sign it. My employer has often threatened people’s jobs and created undue stress in the workplace. I’ve been demeaned publicly for not having the best computer skills.

Asked on September 12, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Did you have an employment contract or union agreement that prevented your termination? If not, then it may be legal. In an "at will" employment setting, a company can set the terms of work much as it sees fit. In fact, typically a business can fire an employee for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. That having been said, no form of employment discrimination must have been a factor in your dismissal. So if you were terminated merely on the basis of your age (being over 40), that would be illegal. However, if there was another legitimate reason for your discharge (e.g. lack of computer skills), then being 62 does not help you. At this point, you need to consult directly with an employment attorney in your area. After hearing all of the details of your situation, they will be in the best position to advise you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption