What should I do about sexual harassment at work?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do about sexual harassment at work?

I work for a very small company. There is no an HR department or employee handbook. My

peer has been making lewd comments at work towards me and and even on business calls. My co-workers constantly use foul language. I’m so uncomfortable at times. It has gone as far as I ask if my peers need anything else for the day, they respond,

Asked on October 11, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Forget about the smoking issue: they are not required to ban smoking because you have asthma. And forget about the cookies comment--weight is not a protected category.
BUT sexual harassment is illegal at work. If management knows of the harassment (e.g. because you have complained about it) but has failed to take action, your company may be liable for sex-based employment discrimination or harassment. Contact the federal EEOC to file a complaint:if the EEOC can help you, you may be able to get compensation without having to go through the expense of hiring your own attorny. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption