Repo laws -when a friend volunteer to pay balance and then forge title of car into their name.

UPDATED: May 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Repo laws -when a friend volunteer to pay balance and then forge title of car into their name.

Friend volunteer to pay balance on car to get back. Car owner couldnt pay balance in full after 2 months(please note no written agreement was ever done) so friend go and get someone to forge co-owner name of car with a notary. Go to DMV and they charge title. Is that legal?t

Asked on May 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You know the answer. Forging someone else's name to a legal document is NEVER legal. It's forgery, and forgery to change of title to defraud the legal owner is usually larceny and a felony.

Bringing in notary public to knowingly assist in the forgery also creates a conspiracy to commit forgery.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption