What are a tenant’s rights regarding a recurring roach problem.

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are a tenant’s rights regarding a recurring roach problem.

I live in an apartment community and or the last 2 months we have had “outside” roaches getting into the apartment. They are small, brown roaches with lighter brown stripes on their backs. The apartment has been sprayed twice by the complexes pest control and the woods directly in front of our building has also been sprayed (according to the front office). All of the insects that I find inside are in my 18 month old daughter’s bedroom and bathroom. Most of the ones that I find are dead. I work extremely hard to keep my apartment clean.

Asked on August 28, 2011 Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are continuing having problems with roaches at your rented unit, you need to keep the landlord and/or the property manager advised of the problems you and possibly others are having and request a monthly eradication and maintenance plan by the landlord for the safety and convenience of the tenants by way of a telephone call follwed by a letter or e mail.

Keep a copy of all written transmissions to the landlord and/or property manager for further need.

Roaches carry diseases and can be a health problem as a result. Under the laws of all states in this country, a landlord is required to provide safe and habitable accomodations to his or her tenants.

If the landlord and/or property manager is not responsive to your requests, you may have to pay for the roach remediation. If that happens send the bill to the landlord and/or property mamanger.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption