Probate Question

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Probate Question

Mother died last week. Married Gerry 82 days ago. He moved into her house, his
name is not on the deed, nor is it on any accounts. Estate is in excess of
100,000. I am one of 4 siblings. Gerry is not civil and will not talk to any of us.
He has a dumpster on the driveway and is filling it up. How do we stop him from
doing this? Would a probate attorney handle this? We’ve tried to get the police
involved, but they claim it’s a civil matter. We’re afraid he’s going to fill the
dumpster with items we would want and they will be forever gone. Please help

Asked on November 21, 2017 under Estate Planning, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You do not mention a will, so will assume there is none--though note that if there was a will, then your mother's property goes to whomever she willed it to. 
If there was no will, then in your listed state (Illinois), her spouse gets 1/2 of her estate (1/2 her belongings, a 1/2 interest in real estate, etc.) and her descendents (e.g you and your sibilings) get the other half (i.e. her children will share the other 1/2, so if there are 4 of you, you each get 1/8th). It does not matter how short a time they were married: married is married for this purpose, whether it's 1 day or 75 years or anything in between.
The police are correct; this a civil matter. You can take legal action to prevent him from disposing of any her belongings since you have your own claim to them, and to generally ensure a proper distribution of the estate. This will involve having someone appointed as personal representative, putting the estate into probate, seeking an injunction (court order) on an expedited (emergent) basis to prevent anything from being thrown out, taken, sold, etc in the meantime while the estate is probated, etc. This can be very complicated procedurally: you and your siblings are strongly urged to retain a probate attorney to help you, and do so immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption