If the police want me to come in for questioning should I go?

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the police want me to come in for questioning should I go?

Recently, a good friend of many years accused me of stealing $1,000 from her. I absolutely did not, and I am very hurt as this has ended our friendship. She insists I did and filed a police report. Now they want me to come in “to talk about an incident in (city she lives in).” That’s all they would say. I have done nothing wrong, but have heard that the police ask someone to come in because they believe the person is guilty and want them to say something to incriminate themselves. I am quite worried. Can I be arrested? What should I do?

Asked on August 17, 2011 Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You do not have to appear at the police station if you choose not to. Whatever you do, under no circumstances should you go to speak with the police without having an attorney with you. The factthat  is no matter how innocent you may be, you could inadvertently say something incriminating about yourself regarding this matter. You are under no obligation to speak with them (actually even if the police come to your home you do not need to speak with them).  If you speak to them without having a lawyer to represent your interests, it is to their benefit. They can and will try to get you to implicate yourself.  So no matter how friendly they may appear,or conversely no matter how intimidating and threatening they seem, do not speak to them without legal counsel. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption