How cana wifeobtain a clear title to a vehicle that is still in her deceased husband’s name?

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How cana wifeobtain a clear title to a vehicle that is still in her deceased husband’s name?

My father passed away 10 years ago. He owned a motorcycle titled in his name only. Mom has had it sitting in the garage and now would like to sell it.

Asked on December 18, 2011 under Estate Planning, Missouri


Sharon Siegel / Siegel & Siegel, P.C.

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a New York lawyer.  In NY, this is easy.  Go to the dmv with a death certificate and letters of administration (or testamentary) and the old title and request a new title.  You do not need a lawyer to do this in NY. 212-721-5300


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption