What to do if an insurer won’t honor a claim?

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if an insurer won’t honor a claim?

I have a vehicle which was parked on the side of the street in front of my residence. A waste management’s recycle truck failed to properly retract their claw, which picks up the cans. In the process of moving foreword to the next can my vehicle was clipped. There was minor damage to the driver’s side front end. The vehicle is 27 years old. The damage estimate was $1422 from a reputable repair shop. The estimate was only on the damage caused by the truck. There was prior areas of damage to other parts of the vehicle. The company’s insurer does not want to pay for the damage caused by the company they insure. What options are there?

Asked on March 13, 2014 under Accident Law, New Mexico


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your main option is to sue the waste management company and the driver of the vehicle.  The insurer will have to provide its insured with a defense.  They will not want to litigate this and will most likely cough up the money once they are sued.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption