Whatare a borrower’s rights regarding mistaken late fees?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whatare a borrower’s rights regarding mistaken late fees?

I have a car loan which has been a source of frustration since the very first payment with payments mis-credited payments; sometimes took many months of repeated letters and faxes with proof of payment to be credited. There were payments credited, debited and re-credited repeatedly and now I am trying to pay the loan off but am being charged over $500 in late fees. I am also fairly certain that the actual payoff amount is not even correct but I am willing to pay it because I cannot afford an attorney to challenge this. Can I offer to pay off the loan minus the late fees to end this fiasco?

Asked on August 25, 2011 Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The short answer is, you are only liable for the correct fees--i.e. for principal, interest, and late charges which are factually correct and which are called for under the terms of the agreement. You do not have to pay for anything not in the agreement or based on misfiling, misapplication, or other errors. But if the lender will not voluntarily resolve this with you, you will have to sue to force them to stop charging the wrong fees, provide the correct accounting, possibly recover any compensation or damages to which you may be entitled, etc. So you can try to negotiate with them, as you suggest, but if they won't move, you'll need to bring a legal action. You should consult with an attorney--if they have been acting in a fraudulent or grossly negligent way, it may be possible to get additional damages or money from them, making it worthwhile to retain a lawyer. (Many lawyers will provide a free initial consultation to evaluate a case.) You could also represent yourself in court. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption