Our son is in federal prison, and we feel he is suffering from Aspergers Syndrome

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Our son is in federal prison, and we feel he is suffering from Aspergers Syndrome

Our son was sentenced to 135 months in federal prison for possession of child
pornography. After consulting several health professionals, we really believe he
is on the autism spectrum. He was tested early in the process but do to his
altered mental capacity, suffering from severe depression and social anxieties,
and because he was under extreme stress, we felt he could not be fairly
evaluated. We tried to get an impartial psychologist to run further tests on him,
but due to time constraints, the testing never happened. He is struggling in
prison, and we want want to know if there is psychological testing available to
him while incarcerated. We just want what is best for our son. Thank you.

Asked on April 23, 2016 under Criminal Law, Iowa


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You need to hire a defense attorney that also has experience in filing civil rights complaints.  Every defendant has the right to proper medical attention, even when they are incarcerated.  So, if you do not believe that your son is receive proper medical care (regardless of what the condition is), then you need assistance in bringing it to the attention of the jail administrators.  If the administrators are non-responsive, then you may need to file a civil rights action with the purpose of getting your son access to proper medical care.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption