Our marriage is broken, what now?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Our marriage is broken, what now?

I’ve tried working things with my husband but we have grown apart and he won’t change habits or try counseling. I received my residence with restriction a year ago and in a year from now I will need to apply to lift my restriction because we were recently married. We are still married but constantly fighting and arguing. It got bad when he punched and threw things until 3 weeks ago that he pushed me. I was scared and called the cops and left the house for my safety. As much as we want to work things out, I don’t see it happening. I don’t want to remain in an ill relationship. That being said, what are the steps I should take when it is time to apply to remove my restriction.

Asked on January 9, 2018 under Immigration Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your first step is to get yourself to a safe place, physically and emotionally.   Since you are a victim of physical assault by your husband, you can and should make an application for a protective order.  You can get this for free through the district attorney's office in the county where you live.  If the district attorney's office is too laid back to help you, then you can still file for a private protective order or a temporary restraining order.  Either the DA's office or a legal aid group can also help you get to a women's shelter if you need a place to stay.  Once you have either a protective order or temporary restraining order, you should then make an application for a change in your status, citing domestic abuse as the basis and need for the change.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption