What can I do if the other party is faulting me 30% for an accident that was not my fault?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if the other party is faulting me 30% for an accident that was not my fault?

I was in an auto accident last month. I was heading northbound on the west lane of the 2 lanes heading north. I did not change lanes. I was hit close to an intersection. I was hit on the driver’s side. I was T-boned. The other driver has lied to his insurance company and said I changed lanes, contributing to the accident. I did not. The police report stated that the other party did not see me. Now his insurance will only cover 70, however I feel that they should cover it all because it was all his fault. I did not change lanes. What can be done now, hire a lawyer? How can I fight this?

Asked on December 24, 2017 under Accident Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You would sue the driver for the full amount of your loss or damages. Their insurer's determination is NOT a legally binding determination: it is only the insurer's opinion as to fault, and their offer of what they will voluntarily pay. (Any/all payments made without suing and winning in court are voluntary.) If you disagree, you have the right to sue the driver (you sue the at-fault driver, not his insurer). If you can prove in court, such as through your testimony, other witness testimony, the policy report and police officer testimony (you will have to subpoena the officer who filled out the report to appear in court; under the rules of evidence, you cannot submit a report created outside of court without having living testimony from the person who created it and who can be questioned about it), you can get a court judgment requiring the other driver to pay the full amount, at which point he and/or his insurer should pay for your full loss. 
Of course lawsuits cost time and money, especially if you hire an attorney, and you cannot recover your attorney fees in courts (each party has to pay its own lawyer fees). Think carefully about whether that extra 30% you want is worth the time and cost of litigation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption