Neighbors not respecting property line?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Neighbors not respecting property line?

I have neighbors who are trashing my
property and have built a small shack
that they are living in, two adults and
several children. I have my survey and
have made attempts to put a fence up and
they pull my post up, what options do I

Asked on May 26, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The police are wrong: they are trespassing and committing vandalism (and if they take anything, like the posts you put up, theft). Try again with the police, such as at higher leve (e.g. captain or chief); contact the prosecutor's office directly, explain what is going on and that the police refuse to help; try contacting your mayor or town administrator--they may be able to get the police to act. What you describe is criminal: as stated, trespass and vandalism at a minimum.
If you still can't get the authorities to help even though they should, you can file a lawsuit againt them in regular county (not small claims) court, seeking a court order that they remain off you land and also monetary compensation for any damage they have done; and if their shack is actually on your land (it is not clear from your queston), a court order removing them and it from your land. They have no right to be on your land, and a court can vindicxate your rights. These actions are more complex than a small claims case, so you are advised to retain a lawyer to help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption