If I’m here from India on an H1B visa and my I-140 is approved, what can I provide other than a marriage certificate to prove my marriage for my I-485?

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m here from India on an H1B visa and my I-140 is approved, what can I provide other than a marriage certificate to prove my marriage for my I-485?

did not register my marriage, so I don’t have my marriage certificate now. My priority date is still not current but I want to be proactive and make ready all documents ready for I-485. So I would like to know what is the alternative for marriage certificate that I can provide? I heard that affidavits from parents will do. Is this true or not?

Asked on November 5, 2014 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You should really try to register your marriage and obtain a marriage certificate.  While other documentation may be acceptable, that is usually in the case where original documents cannot be obtained.  In your situation, that does not appear to be the case.  The document would be obtainable if you actually registered your marriage.  Additionally, I am not sure what the registration of marriage where you were married means and what the lack of registration means.  Does not registering a marriage mean that it is not completely valid?  In other words, it is not enough to be  married in the eyes of the family and God, etc.  You have to be married by a state licensed official and that marriage has to be recognized by the place where the marriage was officiated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption