What are my rights to see a list of damages that I’m being charged for now that I have moved out of my rental?

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights to see a list of damages that I’m being charged for now that I have moved out of my rental?

My previous landlord says I owe fees for damages and cleaning and that if I don’t pay they’ll send it to collections. But I’ve never received an itemized letter stating what my damages were. I don’t mind paying the fee, if I just know what I’m paying for. She called me saying that she sent me a letter a while ago. A week later I called her to let her know that I still haven’t received the letter. So she said she’d e-mail it; now 5 days later I still don’t have any e-mail or letter. Are they able to put something on my credit report without ever sending me a letter saying what I was charged for?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In every state in this country a tenant who has moved out of a rented unit and who is being charged damage repair out of his or her security deposit is entitled to see the costs of such repairs. The evidence would be cancelled checks, receipts, invoices and the like.

If you have not received the letter from the landlord setting forth the charges that are being assessed as to you, you need to write her asking for the receipts and other documents showing what you are being charged for. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption