What are my rights regarding a noisy neighbor?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding a noisy neighbor?

My mom lives in rental condo and the neighbor plays her TV very loud all night. The owner of my mom’s place is the son-in-law of the neighbor. So when my mom called him, he said that there was nothing he could do so when her lease runs out she should move. She has 7 months lease left.

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

As a practical matter, your mother may be best off waiting until the lease is up and relocating; that's because the best you could most likely do in any event is terminate her lease and move out early, but doing so will (1) take time--probably at least two or three months; (2) be risky--if done incorrectly, she could end up liable to the landlord; and (3) be costly--even if she is in the right about terminating her lease, the landlord may try to either withhold her security deposit or sue her, forcing her to go to court.

If she wants to try and take action, here's the theory: all tenants have a "right of quiet enjoyment"--the right to use their premises without undue or unreasonable disturbance. The landlord is obligated to take reasonable steps to ensure a tenant's quiet enjoyment. Since in NJ, a landlord may legally evict a tenant who disturbs other tenants after notice to stop, the landlord *should* provide the noisy neighbor a warning to change his behavorior or face eviction. If the landlord does not take steps to fix this problem, that could provide grounds to terminate the lease early without penalty.

However, first the landlord must be given a "reasonable" time to take action (i.e. warn the other tenant) and the the tenant must be given at least some time to change his behavior--that's why it could take weeks or months before  you know if the landlord has failed to take action, and your mother could move. Second, the condition must be serious enough to significantly disturb the peace of the average tenant--so if it's just that it's particularly annoying to your mother, but another person could put up with it, then she would not have grounds to move out and would be liable for the remaining balance of her rent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption