What to do if my wife’s mother has stolen a $53,000 inheritance left to her by her father’s mother?

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my wife’s mother has stolen a $53,000 inheritance left to her by her father’s mother?

Her and her sister were left equal amounts by their grandmother (on father’s side) 7 years ago. My wife opted to put the money in a joint account her mothers credit union.She signed a paper (doesnt remember what) at that time. The credit union has shut down and is now a bank.They are telling us that the money was moved to her mother’s account 5 years ago. Her mother admits taking the money and using some of it to pay off her stepbrother’s home but will not pay it back and says that she’s broke. What can we do; we’re homeless?

Asked on March 16, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

File a complaint with the county district attorney for a criminal embezzlement to have her mother fined and thrown in jail; in addition you will need to file a civil lawsuit against her and against the step brother for recovery and lien his property, as he probably knew the source of the money. Obtain the assistance of legal counsel. But first start the criminal process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption