If I were to be sued in a personal injury lawsuit and a judgement is recorded against me, could the court force the sale of trust property to pay the judgement?

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I were to be sued in a personal injury lawsuit and a judgement is recorded against me, could the court force the sale of trust property to pay the judgement?

About 2 years ago, I purchased a condo 50/50 with family members. When the escrow closed the deed was solely in my name. I then used a quitclaim deed to transfer title to the property to a trust that my grandmother setup before her death for me. I reside in the condo and it is my only residence. As far as I understand it the legal name of the trust is “X’s trust” with X being my first name. So my full legal name is not on the trust but the property taxes for the condo in question read the owner as “X’s Tr, Attn. X Y” with X Y being my full name.

Asked on March 16, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

An internet lawyer cannot answer this question.  It depends on a number of factors, the first being the terms of the trust itself.  Most trusts are written with strong spendthrift provisions that prevent creditors from invading the trust.  The next depends on the effectiveness of your transfer to the trust.  If your transfer is effective, the trust is irrevocable, and you do not have a general power of appointment (the right to demand a distribution or change the terms of the trust etc.), the creditor cannot reach the property of the trust.  There are other considerations.

It sounds like you are asking a hypothetical question.  You should understand that a personal injury plaintiff must sue you, go to trial, get a judgment, and then execute on the judgment.  This is a long process.  You should buy sufficient insurance to avoid that.  If it happens, the creditor can take your deposition and ask you to disclose your assets.  You would want legal advice as to whether you must disclose trust assets. 

And let me add one more thing - a judgment creditor would have to sue to invade your trust. That would be expensive and potentially difficult.  The good news is that personal injury lawyers know nothing about it.  They want to get paid - which means they want to settle the personal injury case and be done with it.  Buy a reasonable amount of insurance and the personal injury lawyer will almost always recommend that the plaintiff accept it in settlment.  By the way, given the time, cost, and risk of chasing assets  like your trust, that is the best advice and best choice.

I hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption