Are we responsible for payment if my wife was given the wrong medication during an office visit?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are we responsible for payment if my wife was given the wrong medication during an office visit?

She was given a progesterone shot during pregnancy. The doctor wanted to put her on a progesterone regimen for the next few months. We felt like there was something wrong with idea and switched doctors. Our suspicions were confirmed by the new doctor that those weren’t necessary. Now that previous doctor has charged us inappropriately for visits. We refused to pay and now are being taken to collection. Do we have a case to sue?

Asked on February 11, 2015 under Malpractice Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your wife should NOT be charged for being given the wrong medication.

Medical malpractice is negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable medical practitioner in the community  would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).

Your malpractice case can be strengthened by obtaining a written statement from the second doctor that the progesterone should not have been prescribed.

Your wife should obtain her medical bills, medical reports (especially from the second doctor) and documentation of any wage loss.  Her medical malpractice claim should include these items.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of any condition caused by the progesterone and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the medical bills. Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.

Your wife can file a lawsuit for negligence against the first doctor.  She also should file a complaint with the state medical licensing board.

The lawsuit must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or your wife will lose her rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption