Can I evict a person who is living in a house with no electrical hookup?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I evict a person who is living in a house with no electrical hookup?

This person is living in the house with no lights or water.The city has removed the meter off the house. I am

ready to do repairs to bring the house up to date. In my state does this give me reasons to evict the individual? Also, I am concerned about the people going in and out.

Asked on May 23, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

IF you have  lease which states that he must keep the electricity on, then could evict him for violating the lease. But if there is no lease obligation, then you may not evict for this reason. Basically, as long as he pays rent and does not damage the property (which is itself grounds to evict), you can only evict for lease violations. (Somewhat of an oversimplication, but generally true.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption