If my utilities are included in my rent and my landlord is giving the house back to the bank, can he shut the utilities off?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my utilities are included in my rent and my landlord is giving the house back to the bank, can he shut the utilities off?

I have a child in my home and its January. I’m told that I can’t transfer the utilities in my name and I only have another week to find another place to live. I was not served an eviction notice except by the landlord by mail. Do I have any rights until i find another place to live?

Asked on January 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Your landlord only served a notice of eviction and I am sure that it was not properly served.  He will need to start eviction proceedings against you and obtain an order of possession to actually get you out.  You will then want to file in the action in Landlord Tenant Court as soon as you possibly can requesting a stay of eviction.  This is said assuming that that is what has transpired here.  I would go and seek help from any tenant's rights organization that you can find in your area. Also go and speak with legal aid. Also, if he attempts to shut off the utilities I would call the City help line and maybe then file an action in landlord Tenant court before he files the eviction to make sure that they stay on.  A Judge will work with you on giving yo ample time to relocate, especially with a child and in the Winter.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption