What to do if my landlord tookmy personal property without a proper eviction?

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my landlord tookmy personal property without a proper eviction?

I was arrested out of my apartment on 1/6/11. My father went into my house to take care of my belongings. The landlord showed up and told him to leave the premise so that she could securely lock up the house. I got out of jail on 1/8/11. I came home to see an eviction notice on my door saying that I owed $2400 for 10-12/10. I call the landlady and asked her what was going on. She told me that she bagged all of my stuff and put it in trash bags which she left in the kitchen. When she and the police arrived, she walked in through my back door and said that I was robbed.

Asked on January 16, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You are going to need help with all of this.  Take the Notice of Eviction to an attorney.  Is the notice a 30 days notice to vacate or the starting of an eviction proceeding for failure to pay the rent?  Is it a pay or quit notice?  What it is will determine how you are going to proceed but the bottom line is this: if she entered your apartment and she did anything with your belongings without a notice of eviction then she is in BIG trouble.  And lying to the police is also something that she needs to worry about.  Filing a false report is a crime and you have evidence in the form of witnesses and testimony to contradict her claim.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption