What to do if you steak from your employer?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if you steak from your employer?

My 21 yer old son made a very bad msitake by not charging a $10 item to someone he knew at his register. Approximately 2 days, later his manager asked to speak with him and confronted him about the transaction. My son admitted he made a very bad choice and stated he was sorry and offered to pay for the item. The manager stated he was going to be put on a leave pending investigation. Yesterday he received a letter from his emplyer’s attorney asking him to pay $10 for the item and also $500 restitution; he had 20 days to comply. The letter also stated if he could not pay to call immediately so arrangements could be made, and it also stated that crimminal charges could also be filed against him. He has no criminal record whatsoever and now has no job to pay for this. What should he do and can they crimminally charge him?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suspect that the letter your so received from the attorney was from an attorey based in Florida. If so, the letter in my opinion is an unfair business practice by the employer and the attorney with respect to the $500 restitution demand. Your son if he has not repaid the $10 mistake to the employer he should do so immediately and get a receipt for the payment.

The letter also with respect to a threat of a criminal matter against your son is improper under the law. I suggest that your son consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist him. I doubt any criminal matter will be filed against your son.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption