What to do if my 23 year old son was pulled over due to expired tabs but the officer was part of a K-9 unit and his dog smelled pot so the car was searched?

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my 23 year old son was pulled over due to expired tabs but the officer was part of a K-9 unit and his dog smelled pot so the car was searched?

A misdemeanor amount of drugs was found along with some paraphernalia. The officer also looked in the trunk and found a shotgun and shells which where still there from a trap shooting league earlier in the week. As a result he taken to the police station, the car impounded and the shot gun confiscated. It has been several months now and the police have not charged him with anything. Essentially they are keeping him on “a leash” so he can testify against someone should they need him. We would like to end this and move on. Plus, I would like the gun back. What is the best course of action?

Asked on November 25, 2013 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your son was pulled over due to a violation (expired tags).  Therefore, the police had probable cause to stop him. As a result, the happenstance was the K-9 detected marijuana and all of that was confiscated with probable cause. That being said, you can have an attorney petition for the shot gun and shells back if they were legally owned and he carried a permit for them.  As for the charges, the attorney can see if charges will be filed or if your state has a law regarding the minimal amount of marijuana which could constitute a charge. It is not up to the police to do the prosecution; it is up to the prosecutor and your son's violations may not be enough of a priority to act quickly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption