What to do if my sister was charged by the state with domestic violence against me but I failed to show up in court?

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my sister was charged by the state with domestic violence against me but I failed to show up in court?

I was living in my mother’s house at the time;she threatened to kick me out if I showed up to court. I did not show and the case was subsequently dismissed without prejudice. Can I get the case reopened? Is there a statute of limitations after her original arrest?

Asked on July 25, 2013 under Personal Injury, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The case was dismissed without prejudice, which means the prosecutor can bring the case again. You will need to find other living arrangements and not inform her and explain to the prosecutor you need some sort of protection to allow you to testify.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption