What to do about a contract and an amendment to it?

UPDATED: May 15, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 15, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a contract and an amendment to it?

The original agreement was executed 2 years ago, and the 1st amendment to add additional services was executed 1 year ago. They now want to cancel the original agreement services but continue with the services detailed in the 1st amendment. What process needs to happen to make this binding?

Asked on May 15, 2015 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Either a completely new contract, which states that it replaces the earlier contract and amendment; or a second amendment to the contract, which states that it cancels the original agreement but that the first amendment remains in effect. It can be done either way. I recommend a single, new contract setting out the services, costs, rights, etc.--it is cleaner and less prone to interpretation errors than multiple amendments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption