If I got arrested last night for disorderly conduct, what can I expect?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got arrested last night for disorderly conduct, what can I expect?

I have never been in trouble and don’t have a clue about what laws and court things please help me out with this.

Asked on July 20, 2013 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


Robert Johnston / Law Office of Robert J. Johnston Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Every state varies, and often the process varies from court to court. Disorderly Conduct is a crime. Not a hugely serious crime, but a crime nonetheless.

You should have been given a court date. You have the right to a trial, which would require the prosecution to prove you guilty. Usually however, people with that particular charge do not have trials. Its usually considered unwise to have a trial if it appears that you will lose it, as it could result in a more serious sentence.

You will have the opportunity to plead guilty and pay a fine. But if you do that then you will have it on your criminal record.

In the area where I practice, we can get the defendant into a community service program which will result in a dismissal of the charge and the criminal record expunged; as long as they don't have a bad record aleady, which I sense you do not.

As with any serious legal matter, you really should retain an attorney. Again, in my area, which is SC, they attorney can take care of everything and you would not need to appear in court.

Robert J. Johnston

[email protected]


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption