If my name is on the deed of my parent’s house, do any changes to this deed need to go through me?

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my name is on the deed of my parent’s house, do any changes to this deed need to go through me?

Years ago I helped my parents move to a new house by co-signing their loan for the house. Because of this my name was placed on the deed to the house. We recently refinanced the house in my father’s name because he is now able to qualify himself. My name is now off of the loan, but we filed a quit claim deed for the house that put my name on the deed along with my father’s. We did this so that when my parents pass away ownership of the house will transfer to me. I want to make sure that with this deed filing I will legally have to be notified/provide consent for any changes to the deed.

Asked on August 10, 2011 Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have described, you are on legal title to your parents' home but by way of a quitclaim deed where somehow your father is also on legal title to the home with you. I presume your mother was the one who quitclaimed her interests in the home to you since you hold title to it with your father now.

If the goal of you and your parents for the recent deeds was to have you obtain legal title to the home whn they pass by virtue of the way title is held presently to the home, you need to change the way title is held to the property as follows: "joint tenants with the right of survivorship" where you and your father hold title to this home as joint tenants.

As to changes to current title to this property needing your approval in the future, since both you and your father hold title to the property apparently as tenants in common, your father can transfer his interests to whomever he wishes to the property.

I suggest you consult with a real estate attorney regarding how title to this property is currently held and what you and your parents wish to accomplish.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption