My mother recieved a summons for something one of her kids did with her vehicle. What should she do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My mother recieved a summons for something one of her kids did with her vehicle. What should she do?

Hi. My mom recieved a traffic summons
for illegal parking in Pennsylvania.
One of her children took her car from
her residence in Georgia and committed
the act of illegal parking. What should
she do now to ensure that this doesn’t
affect her record since she did not
commit the crime.

Asked on October 10, 2018 under General Practice, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

She needs to pay the fine for illegal parking: even if it was your sibling driving, it was your mother's car, and a car's owner is liable for parking tickets. There is no way to get it off her record since it was her car, but if the summons is paid, there won't be any lasting effect. Your mother could, if the cost of the ticket were high enough to justify doing this, sue your sibling (if he/she will not voluntarily pay) in small claims court for the money his/her actions cost your mother.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption