Is there anything we can do to light a fire under an executor to settle an estate so that we can all get on with our lives?

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything we can do to light a fire under an executor to settle an estate so that we can all get on with our lives?

My mother passed away 6 months ago and my sister is the executor. About 3 months ago, she registered the account in surrogate court. As far as we know all accounts have been settled and or deposited in the estate account. My sister hasn’t done anything since. There is no estate attorney and neither of my siblings has an accounting of what is in the account.

Asked on October 23, 2012 under Estate Planning, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  You have a right to both look at the estate file and an accounting of what is going on in the matter.  The estate file you an look at at any time as it is a public record.  As for the the accounting, you will need to bring a proceeding in the probate court for same.  Your sister holds a very important job and if she has breached her fiduciary responsibilities to the estate and the beneficiaries then you have recourse.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption