If my landlord was foreclosed on, am I obligated to pay past due rent?

UPDATED: Apr 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my landlord was foreclosed on, am I obligated to pay past due rent?

I was past due on rent because my landlord was in foreclosure proceeding off and on for over a year. We had to have money to move.

Asked on April 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your landlord was foreclosed upon with respect to the rental that you were occupying and you failed to pay him or her rent for the rental while he was of record ownership, you are contractually obligated to pay the landlord the past due rent as well as late fees and accrued rent depending upon what the presumed written lease states even though he or she no longer owns the property.

The amount due would only be for when he or she was of record ownership and only for those months that you made no payments for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption