Do we have a case for negligence if my husband’s doctors did not follow the standard of care for his condition?

UPDATED: May 12, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 12, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do we have a case for negligence if my husband’s doctors did not follow the standard of care for his condition?

My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer and his prostate was removed. His PSA started to rise and a CT scan showed cancer in the pelvic bed. No CT scan was done for 18 months despite a rising PSA and prior positive CT scan until my husband requested one. By then the cancer grew so large that it blocked the right ureter causing severe hydronephrosis to the right kidney. This required a nephrostomy tube with drainage bag and ureteral stent which has to be replaced every four months. He received radiation to the pelvic bed but cancer continued to spread throughout his body. He is now on chemotherapy. This occurred 7 months ago.

Asked on May 12, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Michigan


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello. An attorney may perform an investigation of the matter. I urge you to seek private attorney counsel at this time. I specifically recommend you do not inform the medical professionals or hospital, if applicable, that you are conferring with an attorney. 

Some attorneys, myself included, will confer for free, at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys, myself included, will provide a reduced fee for need. All the best 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption