If my husband was deported, how do I file for divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband was deported, how do I file for divorce?

I have not heard from him in over a year. I have any way to contact him.

Asked on March 20, 2016 under Family Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you want a divorce but don't know where your wife is, the law provides a remedy. You can serve a divorce complaint by giving notice to your husband via "publication". This is a legal tool employed when the respondent (you) cannot be located by the petitioner (your husband). In order to obtain a divorce, you'll need to perform as complete and diligent a search for your missing spouse as is practical under the circumstances. You will need to look in the same general location in which he was last known to reside. If you fail to locate your spouse, you can then ask the court to ssue an order of publication. Once a judge signs off on the order, a legal notice will be sent to the newspaper(s) specified in the order. If your husband doesn't respond within the allowed time period (typically 30-60 days), you can file the divorce by "default". In about 2 to 6 months, depending on your state, you should receive the final judgment of divorce. At this point, you may want to consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area for further advise.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption