What can be claimed if your apartment is destroyed by military jet crash?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be claimed if your apartment is destroyed by military jet crash?

I was talking to someone whose apartment was destroyed by a jet crash. Apart from personal belongings lost, is there a good chance of claiming damages for stress and personal impact?

Asked on April 10, 2012 under Personal Injury, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot, unfortunately, recover compensation for stress, emotional upset, or disruption to your life.

You may recover, however, out-of-pocket losses occasioned by crash, to the extent not covered by your insurance. Some examples include: cost of hotel, motel, or other rental while you home is rebuilt or you obtain a new home; cost, if any, to rent a parking spot for your vehicle, if you need to (if you can't park at your home); lost wages, if you miss work; if you have to travel further to work from wherever you are now staying, increased commuting costs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption